Under the direction of the EH&S Manager, the Safety Technician will establish and promote a safe, accident free, and healthy work environment. The incumbent plans and coordinates safety-based activities and training to maintain compliance with Company, state, local and federal regulations and provides assistance to other department heads to promote and maintain a productive EH&S culture.
1. Assist in developing and maintaining all site EHS programs
2. Perform EHS audits and incident investigations as necessary
3. Identify and resolve safety system weaknesses
4. Ensure compliance with local, state and federal health and safety regulations
5. Conducts routine and follow-up safety and hazard inspections of facility.
6. Maintain records of facilities inspections, corrective actions, training documentation, and document control.
7. Assists in the development and implementation of safety programs, policies and procedures in multiple areas of operations in the facility.
8. Assist in the development and help conduct the training required for all employees in all areas of health and safety standards.
9. Assist in the investigation of accidents and incidents to identify their root causes and to determine how they might be prevented in the future along with analyzing accident and incidents for trends.
10. Assist in completing all required documentation, paperwork, and recordkeeping.
11. Assist with coordination of inspections, assessments, surveys, and program evaluations to identify potential hazards, and ensures compliance with all applicable safety and environmental rules.
12. Assist EHS Manager in all safety compliance regulation needs.
13. Promote and maintain a safe work environment.
14. Participate as an active member of the safety team
15. Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
Safety concepts and techniques (B)
Labor laws and regulations (B)
Workers’ compensation (J)
OSHA and other regulatory agencies (B)
Training and employee development (B)
PC word processing/spreadsheet software (B)
Skill and ability to:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports and required documentation.
Ability to engage others in tasks/projects at hand
Ability to handle multi-tasks and work in a fast-paced environment
Ability to work well independently as well as with a team
Must be detail oriented with excellent organizational and planning skills
Work flexible hours as safety/compliance needs arise
Basic to intermediate computer skills with MS-Office applications including; Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Teamwork within the department and across departments
Proven ability to work independently with minimal day-to-day direction
Exercise individual initiative, discretion, diplomacy, and judgment
Safety standards and procedures